Skip to main content

Lunar Imaging

For about a month's time, I wasn't able to do anything interesting on astrophotography  owing to the bad weather. I started some experimentation on solar photography and well that is not going that well either. However, last week I managed to snap some decent pics of the moon.

For the longest time I thought that lunar photos do not need stacking or wavelet enhancements. I mean moon is the second brightest object you can find in the sky. For the sake of experimenting, I tried stacking them and doing some wavelet processing on registax. The result is as follows:

Moon - 10 frames stacked and processed with wavelets.
I was quite surprised to see that this actually did made a difference. Compared to the usual blurred photos I get, these seem to do way better. For the sake of comparison, see the photos below:
Non-stacked (prime focus)Stacked with wavelet processing (prime focus)
So yeah it does seem to make a difference. I also wanted to see if this was something to do with the wavelet processing so decided to check only one frame with wavelet processing. Can't say that it has the same effect:
Non-stacked (single photo) with wavelet processing.Stacked with wavelet processing (prime focus)
Although you cannot see much of a difference between the the two photos at low-res (thumbnail), there is significant graininess in the single photo after the wavelet processing. Btw, if any one is interested, the images were stacked in Registax and the settings are as follows:
[scheme]
Linked=0
itemindex=1
initial=1
step=1

[method]
itemindex=0

[checkbox]
layer1=1
layer2=1
layer3=1
layer4=1
layer5=1
layer6=0

[slider]
layer1=404
layer2=99
layer3=10
layer4=10
layer5=10
layer6=10

[Gauss]
layer1=10
layer2=10
layer3=10
layer4=10
layer5=10
layer6=10

[Blur]
layer1=0
layer2=0
layer3=0
layer4=0
layer5=0
layer6=0
Just copy the above in to a text file and save it with .rvw extension in your main Registax installation folder. You will then be able to load it from the Wavelet Adjustment panel as a preset. I think I have a long way to go on figuring out the best wavelet settings, so probably the above settings need a good deal of tweaking.

Well that's all for now, will try to catch you guys with some better shots sometime soon.

P:S: I ordered my Baader Solar Films today, hopefully my solar imaging would do way better.

Comments