Skip to main content

[SOLVED] NexStar 4SE Does Not Power Up

About a month or so back I realised that there is another problem with the 4SE, it wouldn't power up. Firstly I thought this was due to a battery drain, and that's the first thing I tried.

While it worked once, after about half an hour of sky watching it stopped working again. It is quite improbable for a new set of batteries to drain that fast. After hooking up with a 12V 2A power supply, it still did not power up. This could mean two things: the power doesn't get to the circuitry or the circuitry it self is busted. After playing around a bit with a multimeter, the fault turns out to be... again on the switch.

I think it is fair to assume that the part that has most physical/mechanical movement will be the first to fail. It is true that the electronics could fail, but I guess it is better to start from the switches. For the moment, I have bypassed the switch, and all is well (well except for the weather...)

Comments