Skip to main content

What's in a stacking?

My last attempt at photographing Saturn was posted on an FB group and one of the members quickly pointed out that me shooting at a high ISO shouldn't necessarily give that bad of an image. After experimenting with a few different stackings, I got some interesting results.
100 frames

In my previous attempt (pictured above), I stacked only 100 frames of a total of nearly 5000 frames. The reason that I didn't stack more is because I was worried that it'd average out too much that the finer details such as the Cassini Divide will not appear. It seems like what happened was exactly that; if you stacked a higher number of frames, the stacking process will cause the grains to somewhat be smoothed out. Today evening I spent experimenting with different stacking sizes to see what the results would turn out to be.

10 frames
50 frames
100 frames
200 frames
1000 frames
2000 frames
4500 frames
As the number of frames stacked increase, the graininess also decreases. And to my surprise it didn't really wipe out the finer details that I wanted to preserve.

Now all I'm hoping for are clear skies to try this out on something like Jupiter where there are clear features to be observed on the face of the planet it self :)

Comments