Skip to main content

Orion Nebula - A second go

Owing to somewhat kinder weather, managed to have a small window two days ago for some astrophotography.Luckily for me, Orion becomes a good target straight from my balcony.

M42, or the Orion Nebula is the first nebula that I tried to shoot. My first attempt was very unsuccessful and all I managed to get was a light patch that showed where the nebula was. This time I was determined to get something better.


However, instead of using the 4SE for imaging, this time I decided to use the 100-400mm Canon lens while using the 4SE as a tracking mount. The results I should say are better than I expected. But I still have a long way to go.


22 light frames x 2-5sec + 10 dark; Canon 550D on 400mm telephoto lens
 
So far I have identified several problems with my astrophotography:
1. Unpreparedness
Most of my astrophotography sessions are spontaneous. I am never prepared for those and don't have everything set up and calibrated.

2. Not the best equipment and  not using the proper method for the equipment.
The 4SE that I use, is a computerised go-to telescope. While it is capable of tracking, its tracking isn't great. It is good to follow a given target, but in doing so, it moves in a non-smooth manner. If you have exposure times more than 5 seconds for example, you are bound to see trails. This is probably not a problem if you are doing equatorial tracking, but due to my unpreparedness, I don't do this.

The DSLR I have if not fired through the laptop, has obvious shakes due to shutter firing. Again due to me not being ready with everything, I dont get it ready by time.

The 4SE, has a battery compartment but the batteries don't last long. I have now started using a electrical adapter. But this means I have a distance limitation from the nearest power outlet. I have been meaning to attach it with a portable power tank by means of a motorcycle battery, but have never got around doing that.

Perhaps I should start working on the above two before I go more deep sky hunting.

Comments